Purchasing and Reimbursements
You must email email@example.com before making your first purchase or if you are uncertain about a purchase.
BME 396/397 (Senior Design), software purchases, Amazon Business, poster printing Heading link
Purchasing instructions for BME 396/397 students
The budget for each Senior Design team is announced in class and the department will assist in placing orders. A minimum of $35 per order is required for many vendors for free shipping and all orders will be shipped to the department’s main office, room 218 SEO. You will be notified via email when items are ready for pickup.
Please note: Reimbursements are not allowed. All project supplies must be ordered through the department. The budget is for project supplies ONLY and food/meals are prohibited.
Ordering procedure: will be provided in class by your instructor. If a vendor you wish to purchase from is not listed below, e-mail a link to the vendor’s website for review to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Discounted contract vendors, no-minimum free shipping**:
- Amazon* – retail supplies
- (*Note: Items sold by 3rd party sellers are not allowed. Only direct from Amazon or fulfilled by Amazon can be purchased. Some items are restricted and require additional 1-2 days processing time. Chemicals are prohibited. Use chemical suppliers listed below.)
- B&H Photo – computer supplies and electronics
- CDW – computer supplies
- Fisher Scientific – lab supplies, chemicals
- Grainger -(industrial supplies (**Note: this vendor may charge shipping on bulb and special order items)
- Neta Scientific – lab supplies
- Office Depot – office supplies
- Sigma-Aldrich/MilliporeSigma – lab supplies, chemicals
- Thomas Scientific – lab supplies, chemicals
- VWR – lab supplies, chemicals
Approved vendors, shipping charges may apply, quote request recommended:
- 3D Hub – (3d printing services; shipping applies)
- Adafruit – (electronic supplies; shipping applies)
- Agilent-Tech – (lab supplies; shipping applies)
- Cole-Parmer – (lab supplies; shipping applies)
- DF Robot – (electronic supplies; shipping applies)
- Digi-Key – (electronic supplies, e.g.: resistors, capacitors, LEDs; shipping applies)
- Ebay – (new and used stuff; shipping applies)
- FormLabs – (3d printer supplies only for FormLabs products)
- Global Industrial – (industrial supplies; shipping applies)
- HDPE Supply – (hdpe pipes and fittings)
- Jameco – (electronic supplies, e.g.: resistors, capacitors, LEDs; shipping applies)
- Makerspace – (UIC College of Engineering 3d printing services)
- McMaster-Carr – (industrial supplies; shipping applies)
- Medline – (medical supplies; shipping applies)
- Mouser – (electronic supplies, e.g.: resistors, capacitors, LEDs; shipping applies)
- NewEgg – (computer components AND electronic supplies, e.g.: resistors, capacitors, LEDs; shipping applies)
- RobotShop – (robotics supplies; shipping applies)
- SparkFun – (electronic supplies; shipping applies)
- Target – (retail supplies; $35 minimum order required)
- Walmart – (retail supplies; $35 minimum order required)
- Amazon* – retail supplies
Software/Electronic Services Purchases
Software purchases must have pre-approval from the department, please email email@example.com to begin. Most commonly used software is available at the U of I Webstore. Note: P-Cards are NOT allowed on Webstore; email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have trouble making a purchase.
*Note: For faculty and staff with P-cards only. Some items are restricted with university’s Amazon Business; you are recommended to source them through iBuy vendors. Items sold by 3rd party sellers are not allowed. Only direct from Amazon or fulfilled by Amazon can be purchased. Current P-card holders can request access at https://www.obfs.uillinois.edu/purchases/university-amazon-business.
A few options to print your scientific posters:
- On-campus: UIC Creative and Digital Services
- Off-campus: PosterNerd.com
- Recommended: Select ‘Purchase Order’ as payment option, then forward order confirmation (with funding/approval) to email@example.com. You can also use P-card or personal funds for reimbursement (both must be tax exempt). Note: Reimbursement turnaround time can be lengthy.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org before hosting large poster events.
Reimbursements Heading link
- Complete the Information Security Compliance Form , login with your UIC netid and password. Notify email@example.com once form is complete to request access to Chrome River system. Allow up to 24 hours for processing. **Please proceed to the next step if you already have access to Chrome River.**
- Complete the Reimbursement Form (link below) and attach original receipts. The department’s purchasing team will then contact you with further instructions.
- Add staff as delegates in ChromeRiver: https://www.obfs.uillinois.edu/travel-resources
- Click your name in the upper right corner
- Click Account Settings
- Click Delegate Settings
- Click Add New Delegates
- Start entering the user’s name, then select the correct name from the drop-down list of potential Delegates
- BME staff: Add Edgar Avalos (eavalos) and Susan Lee (sulee1) as delegates
- Once all information is submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org, your reimbursement will be processed within 5 business days.
Note: Reimbursements must be requested within 60 days of completion of travel or purchase; otherwise, the reimbursement may be considered taxable income. Learn about reimbursement policies >>.
Per diem is a daily travel meal allowance and includes taxes and tips. The cost of personal meals purchased (outside of business meals) while in travel status is not reimbursable and receipts for such meals should not be submitted. Learn about per diem >>>.
Alcoholic beverages during business meal policy: If alcohol will be purchased during a business meal, please ask to separate this billed receipt from the food expense receipt, as alcohol cannot be covered by state funds nor grant funds. If you are requesting to use the departmental gift account for alcohol, written approval from the department head is required before the purchase.
iBuy Heading link
- Create requisition in iBuy: https://www.obfs.uillinois.edu/iBuy/ or view training tutorials: https://www.obfs.uillinois.edu/training/materials/iBuy/.
- Submit only ONE VENDOR PER REQUISITION, build cart, click ‘Summary’, then ‘Place Order.’
- Navigate to ‘My Pending Requisitions’ from drop-down menu by your name at the top. Copy/paste requisition number into email SUBJECT LINE, email it to your PI asking to forward email with fund name to email@example.com.
NOTE: If a vendor* is not found in iBuy, email firstname.lastname@example.org. Some vendors only accept credit cards; please contact your PI to place the order. Requisitions will be processed within 1 business day of PI providing fund. Any requisition pending longer than 5 business days without PI approval will be returned or rejected.
*AMAZON is not in iBuy. Please consult your PI to place order, or email email@example.com for information.
quote or non-catalog
*Do NOT use this form for ibuy catalog vendors (eg: Fisher, VWR, Linde….) unless advised by staff.
- Confirm how an item will ship: UPS, FEDEX, or freight. If freight, confirm shipping location with firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Log into iBuy: https://www.obfs.uillinois.edu/iBuy/ and go to ‘Purchase Requisition Form’ in the middle of homepage or top shortcut ‘Forms’ section. Follow onscreen instructions and answer questions to complete the form.
- You MUST select YES for shipping, unless quote confirms shipping is free, to avoid requisition being rejected.
- If shipping cost is unknown, include a reasonable shipping allowance or $0.01 (one penny). Vendors will only take what they need for shipping.
- For quotes/website items: copy/paste item description, catalog number, quantity, item price; select (EA) for unit of measure, and (49500) for commodity code. Select ‘Add and go to Cart’ when done.
- Complete rest of your requisition, make sure shipping address is correct, attach quote to ‘External Notes and Attachments’, review your order on ‘Summary’ tab, and click ‘Place Order’.
As the shopper, you will receive notifications such as order confirmation and tracking numbers directly from the vendor.
If you receive any invoices, payment requests, or issue-related messages, it is VERY IMPORTANT that you forward it to email@example.com.
Check with the vendor directly if you do not receive order confirmation or tracking number from the vendor within 1-2 days and/or do not receive your product within 5-10 business days.
- You are responsible for tracking your shipment. iBuy vendors will email tracking information to you and staff will make the best effort to notify you and/or your PI when order is delivered to our East or West main office. However, there may be times when we are unable to do so; so please remember that you are responsible for tracking your shipment.
- Default delivery address for any order is BME East or West main offices, located in SEO or CSN.
- Large items shipped via freight will be delivered to a warehouse, then redelivered to lab. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for freight shipping arrangements before you order.
- Update your default iBuy shipping address before you submit your requisition by following the guidelines below. Be sure to save for future orders:
Phone: 312-996-2335, lab phone, or cell phone
Attn: BME/PI last name/Your name
Location: Praxair Account number OR BME/PI last name/Your name
returns / exchanges / backorders
- Initiate return or exchange with vendor by requesting approval or RMA number.
- Forward approval or RMA number email to email@example.com.
- Bring item with original box to BME East or West office.
- You can cancel backorder items by communicating with vendor, but be sure to have confirmation in email and forward it to firstname.lastname@example.org so we can update the PO, or you risk your fund getting charged for it later.
- What is iBuy? – Think of iBuy as a payment method, just like a credit card.
- Why are there vendor website links in iBuy? – Website links you see on the homepage are called ‘PunchOut’ websites, which are dedicated websites created by the vendor for iBuy, with discounted prices already showing.
- Why do some vendors have websites in iBuy and others don’t? – The few vendors that have PunchOuts have university contracts with discounts.
- How do I search for products in iBuy? – If a vendor has a PunchOut, go to it and search for your product. If they do not, go directly to the vendor website, find the product, then use non-catalog instructions above to make the purchase.
- For example, McMaster.com is a vendor available in iBuy, but they do not have a PunchOut. Go to their website, copy/paste description/catalog#/price into iBuy, and submit your requisition.
shipping drop off locations Heading link
- East Campus FedEx Drop Box (Packages limited to 20″x 12″x 6″):
- 1201 W. Harrison St. Chicago, IL 60607, Mon to Fri: 7:30pm latest drop-off
- West Campus FedEx Drop Box (Packages limited to 20″x 12″x 6″):
- 840 S. Wood St CSN Building. Chicago, IL 60612, Mon to Fri: 7:00pm latest drop-off
- FedEx Ship Center:
- 1242 S. Canal St., Chicago, IL 60607, Mon to Fri: 8:30am to 9:30pm, Saturday: 8:30am to 5:00pm
- FedEx Ship Center (accepts hazardous material/dry ice):
- 875 W. Division St. Chicago, IL 60642, Mon to Fri: 8:30am to 9:30pm
- East Campus UPS Store:
- 1074 W. Taylor St., Chicago, IL 60607, Mon to Fri: 8:30am to 7:00pm
- West Campus UPS Store:
- 516 N. Ogden Ave., Chicago, IL 60642, Mon to Fri: 8:00am to 7:00pm
- East Campus FedEx Drop Box (Packages limited to 20″x 12″x 6″):
P-Card and T-Card procedures Heading link
- Restricted P-Card purchases – Purchasing Cards can be used for these items when corresponding requirements are met and appropriate funding is available.
- Prohibited P-Card purchases – Purchasing Cards may not be used for these items.
Policy regarding membership costs in professional organizations: Employee memberships in professional organizations are allowable when the memberships benefit system business purposes and/or the employee’s job-related activities. Dues can be purchased through P-Card as long as the following conditions are met:
- Membership dues require a business justification regardless of the fund.
- Membership dues should only be paid on a yearly basis; otherwise, an exception is required for more than one year.
- Membership dues are allowable from state, institutional support, gift and endowment income, service plan and self-supporting funds; however, the business purpose must directly benefit the university/department.
- Membership cannot be allocated to research grants.
Business Meals (T Card Reimbursements Allowed)
Maximum allowable expenditures for business meals depend upon the attendees, the type of event, and in some cases, the starting time or length of the event. For further details to see if your event qualifies as an allowable business meal, please follow this link.
For maximum allowable expenditure limits for students and guests, please follow this link. The meal maximums do not include allowable expenditures for tax, tips, alcohol, and fees related to the service of alcohol. Please email email@example.com prior to event if you are uncertain about a purchase.
* The system is exempt from Illinois state sales tax and has reciprocal agreements with some other states. Make sure exemption is applied before purchase. *
Alcoholic beverages during business meal policy: If alcohol will be purchased during a business meal, please ask to separate this billed receipt from the food expense receipt, as department gift funds will be the only fund allowed to cover the alcohol expense. If you are requesting to use this gift account for alcohol, written approval from the department head is required before the purchase.